DCPs` transfers not linked with rape incidents: Delhi Police
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday refuted suggestions that the transfer of its two Deputy Commissioners were connected with the recent rape incidents in the national capital, saying such reports cast "unwarranted aspersions" on their reputation.
DCP (South) Chhaya Sharma was yesterday transfered to Mizoram and DCP (East) Prabhakar to Prime Minister`s Security Wing.
Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said Sharma`s transfer has been linked with the gangrape of a young girl in a moving bus on December 16 last year and it is "factually incorrect".
He said Sharma was actually transfered to Mizoram in November 2011, almost one year prior to the incident of bus gangrape, but on administrative grounds the Union Home Ministry had issued a partial modification of their earlier order allowing her to continue in Delhi till December last year.
"It is also significant that not only did the officer crack the case in no time but filed a charge sheet in the case and has pursued the trial to an advanced stage successfully," Bhagat said.
He said the Ministry was keen to retain her in Delhi for the next four months as it wanted her presence during the trial in the December 16 gangrape case.
However, he said, Sharma requested for relieving her earlier. She told the Ministry that a delay would hamper the education of her children as it would be difficult for getting admission for them in Mizoram later.
The Ministry agreed to her request, Bhagat said. "She also cracked the Deepak Bhardwaj case in record time. It is distressing to note that the media has linked her relieving order issued one year prior to the incident of December 16 gangrape to tarnish her reputation," he said.
"Even the transfer of Prabhakar was purely routine in nature as the officer had completed his normal tenure," Bhagat said.
Prabhakar`s transfer came days after the rape of a five- year-old girl in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar triggered widespread protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves