DDA Asst Director and 2 others sent to jail in corruption case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday sentenced
the Assistant Director of Delhi Development Authority and two
others to varying jail terms, observing that the menace of
corruption has increased due to "lenient views" taken in the
"The menace of corruption has entered into each and
every segment of the society. Because lenient views have been
taken in the past, we have reached the present hopeless
situation," Special CBI Judge Pradeep Chaddah said.
The court sent DDA`s Assistant Director Pradeep Kumar
Sharma and clerk Ved Prakash to jail for three years and also
imposed a fine of one lakh each on both the convicts.
One of their accomplices Inderjeet, a tea vendor who
had acted as a conduit, was awarded one year jail term along
with a fine of Rs 20,000.
The trio was arrested by the CBI following a complaint
by Nangloi resident Chattar Singh in 2001.
Singh had alleged that the officials had demanded Rs
5,000 bribe from him for issuing a no objection certificate
for his property.
He had said that he needed the certificate as he had
to take loan from a bank.
The CBI sleuths had caught the convicts red-handed
from their office when they received Rs 3,000 as bribe from
The court, while sentencing the convicts to jail term,
declined the submissions of the counsel for Sharma and Prakash
that lenient view should be taken as they have two children
each and their spouses are not earning members.
"Merely because their spouses are not earning should
not lead the court to treat them with kid gloves," the court
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered