DDA official sentenced to 3 years in jail in DA case
New Delhi: A Delhi Development Authority official has been sentenced to three years in jail by a court here for amassing assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Special Judge Dharmesh Sharma also imposed a fine of Rs 7.50 lakh on DDA employee Shashi Bhanu who was convicted for possessing unaccounted wealth of over Rs 20 lakh for the period between January 1981 and January 2008.
"The likely savings during the check period from January 12, 1981 to January 15, 2008 comes to Rs 5,53,882 (total income minus expenditure) as against which the accused was possessing the assets to the tune of Rs 25,81,010. Therefore, the disproportionate assets comes to the tune of over Rs 20 lakhs.
"I sentence the convict Shashi Bhanu to undergo rigorous imprisonment for three years under section 13(1)(e) read with section 13(2) of the Prevention of Corruption Act and further sentence to pay a fine of Rs 7,50,000," the judge said.
The court, however, suspended the convict`s sentence to enable him go in appeal against his conviction and sentencing.
It also rejected the CBI`s request to seize the convict`s properties saying he has three daughters and has to shoulder the "pious and social" responsibility of their marriage.
The CBI had filed a complaint against Bhanu on January 15, 2008 after a formal search at his residence unearthed documents of movable and immovable properties belonging to him and his family, which were beyond his legal income.
The agency had alleged Bhanu had amassed disproportionate assets amounting to Rs 19.27 lakhs between January 1, 1981 and January 15, 2008 .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing