DDA to pay Rs 3 lakh for allotting defective flat
New Delhi: The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has been directed by the state consumer commission here to pay Rs three lakh as compensation to an allottee for not rectifying the defects in a flat allotted to him in 1996.
The Delhi State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission also pulled up the DDA for the "callous and inapt attitude" of its officers for not making the flat habitable due to which the allottee had to reside in a rented house for the last 17 years.
"The defects which have been pointed out by complainant in the flat allotted to him are substantial and cannot be said to be minor or cosmetic. Obviously, by the action of the DDA, complainant could not take possession of the flat in question on account of the callous and inapt attitude of the officers of the DDA leading to complainant to reside in a rented house."
"The complainant is deprived of possession of the house from February 01, 1996 and till today the property in question has not been made habitable by the callous attitude of DDA," a bench comprising members Salma Noor and VK Gupta said.
The commission also directed DDA to pay Rs three lakh as compensation to the allottee, Delhi resident Pramod Pal Singh.
Singh had said in his complaint that he had paid the entire amount of nearly four lakh for the flat in Rohini here through six separate instalments by 1996 and he was allotted the accommodation in February 1996.
When he had gone to check his flat before moving in, he found that it lacked basic amenities and he wrote to the DDA more than 12 times regarding it, but the authority did not take any action to make the accommodation habitable, he had alleged.
The DDA, in its defence, contended that the defects pointed out by the complainant in the flat allotted to him, have already been removed and it is the complainant who has not taken over the possession of the same.
The commission rejected the contention and said that during the proceedings, it had directed the DDA to make the house habitable, but no action was taken by the authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP