Dead councillor`s husband arrested for dowry harassment
New Delhi: The husband of a Congress councillor who was found dead along with her baby daughter has been arrested for dowry harassment, police said Friday.
Pawan Yadav, 28, was arrested late Thursday night under section 304b (causing dowry death) of the Indian Penal Code.
"A case of dowry death has been registered against her in-laws," a police officer said.
Satyam, 26, of west Delhi`s Nangloi area, was found hanging inside her home around 8 a.m. Thursday. The body of her one-and-a-half-year-old daughter was lying on the bed.
Satyam, a native of Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, had moved to Delhi in 2010 after her marriage to Pawan Yadav, a teacher in a municipal corporation school.
She had a masters and B.Ed degree and was a councillor from ward number 43 in Nangloi (East).
Satyam`s family members registered a complaint against her in-laws alleging that she was murdered because of dowry.
"Satyam`s in-laws were demanding Rs.10 lakh (as dowry). We went to Delhi to bring her back to Bulandshahr. They refused to let her come and said they will not leave her until their demands were fulfilled," said Satyam`s elder brother Nishant Yadav.
Pawan Yadav refuted the dowry allegations and told investigators that his wife was upset over a family issue.
Satyam`s family members refused to accept that she had committed suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'