Dead councillor`s husband arrested for dowry harassment
New Delhi: The husband of a Congress councillor who was found dead along with her baby daughter has been arrested for dowry harassment, police said Friday.
Pawan Yadav, 28, was arrested late Thursday night under section 304b (causing dowry death) of the Indian Penal Code.
"A case of dowry death has been registered against her in-laws," a police officer said.
Satyam, 26, of west Delhi`s Nangloi area, was found hanging inside her home around 8 a.m. Thursday. The body of her one-and-a-half-year-old daughter was lying on the bed.
Satyam, a native of Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, had moved to Delhi in 2010 after her marriage to Pawan Yadav, a teacher in a municipal corporation school.
She had a masters and B.Ed degree and was a councillor from ward number 43 in Nangloi (East).
Satyam`s family members registered a complaint against her in-laws alleging that she was murdered because of dowry.
"Satyam`s in-laws were demanding Rs.10 lakh (as dowry). We went to Delhi to bring her back to Bulandshahr. They refused to let her come and said they will not leave her until their demands were fulfilled," said Satyam`s elder brother Nishant Yadav.
Pawan Yadav refuted the dowry allegations and told investigators that his wife was upset over a family issue.
Satyam`s family members refused to accept that she had committed suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145