Dead councillor`s husband arrested for dowry harassment
New Delhi: The husband of a Congress councillor who was found dead along with her baby daughter has been arrested for dowry harassment, police said Friday.
Pawan Yadav, 28, was arrested late Thursday night under section 304b (causing dowry death) of the Indian Penal Code.
"A case of dowry death has been registered against her in-laws," a police officer said.
Satyam, 26, of west Delhi`s Nangloi area, was found hanging inside her home around 8 a.m. Thursday. The body of her one-and-a-half-year-old daughter was lying on the bed.
Satyam, a native of Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, had moved to Delhi in 2010 after her marriage to Pawan Yadav, a teacher in a municipal corporation school.
She had a masters and B.Ed degree and was a councillor from ward number 43 in Nangloi (East).
Satyam`s family members registered a complaint against her in-laws alleging that she was murdered because of dowry.
"Satyam`s in-laws were demanding Rs.10 lakh (as dowry). We went to Delhi to bring her back to Bulandshahr. They refused to let her come and said they will not leave her until their demands were fulfilled," said Satyam`s elder brother Nishant Yadav.
Pawan Yadav refuted the dowry allegations and told investigators that his wife was upset over a family issue.
Satyam`s family members refused to accept that she had committed suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow