Death to three in rape-murder case
New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday awarded death penalty to three men convicted in the rape-murder of a 19-year-old woman in 2012.
The court on February 13 convicted Ravi Kumar, Rahul and Vinod on various charges dealing with kidnapping, rape and murder.
Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat awarded death sentence to the three men, observing that the case falls under the category of "rarest of rare".
The prosecution told the court that the victim was only 19 years old when the crime took place.
Arguing on the quantum of sentence, the prosecution said the convicts committed a barbaric act as they first kidnapped the woman, raped her and then killed her. They then dumped her body in a field in Rodhai village in Haryana`s Rewari district.
The prosecution said the woman was kidnapped by the three men in a car from near her house in Qutub Vihar area on the night of February 9, 2012, while she was returning from her office.
The prosecution said there were multiple injuries on the woman`s head and other parts of her body.
Police said the three men had assaulted the woman with a car jack and an earthen pot.
Ravi Kumar committed the crime with the help of the other two convicts as he was outraged over the woman`s refusal to his friendship proposal, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog