Debt-ridden youth held for sending threat SMSes to employer
New Delhi: Unable to settle the debts from his salary, a 19-year-old youth sent threatening SMSes and letters to his employer seeking Rs 10 lakh to ensure the safety of his family.
But Vinay Rai ran out of luck when police apprehended him while he was throwing a threatening letter into the office of his employer.
Police were keeping a close watch of activities outside Lal Babu Mishra`s office in Nathu Colony in the national capital after the businessman complained that he was receiving threat SMSes and letters asking Rs 10 lakh be delivered to ensure his and his family`s safety.
The team worked with the help of electronic surveillance and mounted a close watch on the office, house and nearby areas of Nathu Colony.
On Saturday, a young boy came and threw a letter inside the office but was apprehended by police.
"On sustained interrogation, he broke down and confessed his involvement in the crime. His father had expired in an accident in 1998 and thereafter, he and his brother bore the responsibility of looking after his family," a senior police official said.
Last year, they constructed a house in their native village by taking money from a lender but was not able to pay back the loan.
"Lal Babu Mishra gave him a marketing job and fixed his salary as Rs 4000. But his debts could not be repaid from this meagre amount. So, he planned to extort money from Lal Babu Mishra," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan