Dec 16 gang-rape case: Court refuses to hear Vinay`s bail plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday refused to hear the interim bail plea of Vinay Kumar, one of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape case, for appearing in an examination, saying it has "no jurisdiction".
Vinay, who along with three other co-accused is being tried by a special judge at Saket District courts, moved the bail plea before a vacation court at the Patiala House District Courts here.
He contended that vacation judge at the Patiala House Courts had jurisdiction to hear his plea as the cases relating to Vasant Vihar police station have been transferred here pursuant to a recent administrative order of the Delhi High Court.
Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma, vacation judge at Patiala House courts complex, said, "On perusal of record, I find that the main proceedings are pending before the special designated court/fast track court at Saket courts complex and therefore, this court has no jurisdiction to hear/consider the application moved.
"The application be sent to the court concerned at Saket court complex for disposal as per law for tomorrow i.e June 20," he said.
Vinay had sought interim bail for a month saying he had to appear in BA (Programme) examination to be conducted by School of Open Learning, University of Delhi.
His counsel A P Singh told the court that his first paper was scheduled today at 3 PM and Vinay be sent under custody to appear in the examination.
During the hearing, special public prosecutor AT Ansari said the trial in the case is going on in a special fast track court at Saket and the interim bail application should have been filed there.
Besides Vinay, three co-accused -- Akshay, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh-- are facing trial for allegedly gangraping a paramedic student in a moving bus here. The victim succumbed to injuries on December 29 last year at a Singapore hospital.
Ram Singh, the driver of the bus, who was also an accused, was found dead in Tihar jail in March. Proceedings against him stand abated. The sixth accused in the case is a juvenile who is facing trial before the juvenile justice board here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt