Dec 16 gang-rape case: Court refuses to hear Vinay`s bail plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday refused to hear the interim bail plea of Vinay Kumar, one of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape case, for appearing in an examination, saying it has "no jurisdiction".
Vinay, who along with three other co-accused is being tried by a special judge at Saket District courts, moved the bail plea before a vacation court at the Patiala House District Courts here.
He contended that vacation judge at the Patiala House Courts had jurisdiction to hear his plea as the cases relating to Vasant Vihar police station have been transferred here pursuant to a recent administrative order of the Delhi High Court.
Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma, vacation judge at Patiala House courts complex, said, "On perusal of record, I find that the main proceedings are pending before the special designated court/fast track court at Saket courts complex and therefore, this court has no jurisdiction to hear/consider the application moved.
"The application be sent to the court concerned at Saket court complex for disposal as per law for tomorrow i.e June 20," he said.
Vinay had sought interim bail for a month saying he had to appear in BA (Programme) examination to be conducted by School of Open Learning, University of Delhi.
His counsel A P Singh told the court that his first paper was scheduled today at 3 PM and Vinay be sent under custody to appear in the examination.
During the hearing, special public prosecutor AT Ansari said the trial in the case is going on in a special fast track court at Saket and the interim bail application should have been filed there.
Besides Vinay, three co-accused -- Akshay, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh-- are facing trial for allegedly gangraping a paramedic student in a moving bus here. The victim succumbed to injuries on December 29 last year at a Singapore hospital.
Ram Singh, the driver of the bus, who was also an accused, was found dead in Tihar jail in March. Proceedings against him stand abated. The sixth accused in the case is a juvenile who is facing trial before the juvenile justice board here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today