Dec 16 gang-rape: Cops conclude final arguments
New Delhi: Concluding their final arguments, police Monday told a court here that they have all the evidence to prove the guilt of the accused in the Dec 16, 2012 gang-rape.
Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan, appearing for the police, told Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that they had "all the evidence to prove them guilty".
"It is also proved that the accused committed rape upon the victim, which can be established from the DNA report and the blood stains on their clothes, which matched with that of the victims (the woman and her male friend)," he said.
A 23-year-old physiotherapist intern was brutally gang-raped in a moving bus Dec 16, 2012.
Krishnan said there was enough evidence to hold the accused guilty of the crime, adding that there was evidence related to the "the rods (which) were used to assault the victims".
He said that serious damage was caused to the woman when iron rods were aggressively thrust into her body.
The counsel for the accused will start their final arguments from Tuesday.
Accused Ram Singh (who is dead), his brother Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta and a juvenile are accused in the case.
The woman succumbed to her injuries Dec 29, 2012 while undergoing treatment in a Singapore hospital.
The juvenile is facing proceedings before a Juvenile Justice Board, while the four other accused are standing trial in the fast-track court. Accused Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail, where he was lodged.
The Juvenile Justice Board is likely to pronounce the order Aug 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam