DEC takes steps to curb flow of black money
New Delhi: The Delhi Election Commission (DEC) Thursday brought city airports under scanner to curb flow of black money in the run to Lok Sabha polls, while directing the civil aviation agencies to keep a vigil on movement of baggages carried by politicians.
In a slew of initiatives, it also directed the authorities to inform it about hiring of chartered planes by political parties and their movement schedules.
The enforcement agencies like Delhi Police and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) will specially focus on movement of cash above Rs 10 lakh or bullion above 1 kg through Delhi airports.
"In case of such detections, the security agencies will have to immediately inform the Income Tax department, which in turn, will make necessary verifications.
"And in case of unsatisfactory replies, cash and bullions will be seized and necessary legal action will be initiated," said Chief Nodal Officer Ankur Garg.
Politicians, who have been availing the facility of using their vehicles for going right up to aircraft and exempted from safety checks of their baggage, will now have to get them checked by security personnel.
"All baggage, including hand baggage of persons and passengers, who are not exempted under Rules but permitted to avail the facility of vehicle for going up to aircraft, shall also be screened by CISF and State police," said Garg.
The DEC today held a high level meeting with officials from Customs, Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS), Airports Authority of India, Delhi Police, CISF and private carrier operators among others to finalise standard operating procedures ahead of Lok Sabha polls.
The meeting also extensively discussed ways to cut flow of black money in the run up to the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters