December 16 Delhi gang-rape case: Chronology of events
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday upheld the conviction and death sentence of the four convicts in the December 16, 2012, gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedic student.
Following is the chronology of events in the December 16, 2012, gang-rape and murder case of a 23-year-old girl in which
* December 16, 2012: Paramedical student gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a private bus and thrown out of the moving vehicle along with her male friend. Duo admitted to Safdarjung Hospital.
* December 17: Widespread protests erupt demanding strict action against the accused.
* December 17: Police identify four accused - bus driver Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh, Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta.
* December 18: Ram Singh and three others are arrested.
* December 20: Victim`s friend testifies.
*December 21: Delinquent juvenile nabbed from Anand Vihar bus terminal in Delhi. Victim`s friend identifies Mukesh as one of the culprits. Police conduct raids in Haryana and Bihar to nab the sixth accused, Akshay Thakur.
*December 21-22: Thakur arrested in Aurangabad district of Bihar and brought to Delhi. Victim records statement before the SDM in hospital.
*December 23: Protesters defy prohibitory orders, take to the streets. Delhi Police Constable Subhash Tomar, on duty to control protests, rushed to hospital with serious injuries.
*December 25: Girl`s condition delared critical. Constable Tomar succumbs to injuries.
*December 26: Following a cardiac arrest, victim flown to Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital by the government.
*December 29: Victim succumbs to injuries and other medical conditions at 2:15 A.M. Police add murder charge in the FIR.
*January 2, 2013: The then Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir inAugusturates fast track court (FTC) for speedy trial in sexual offence cases.
*January 3: Police file charge-sheet against five adult accused for offences including murder, gang-rape, attempt to murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences and dacoity etc.
*January 5: Court takes cognisance of the charge sheet.
*January 7: Court orders in-camera proceedings.
*January 17: FTC starts proceedings against the five adult accused.
*January 28: JJB says minority of juvenile accused is proved.
*February 2: FTC frames charges against five adult accused.
*February 28: JJB frames charges against the minor.
*March 11: Ram Singh commits suicide in Tihar jail.
*March 22: Delhi HC allows national media to report trial court`s proceedings.
*July 5: Inquiry (trial) in JJB against juvenile in gang-rape-cum-murder case and robbery concludes. JJB reserves verdict for Julyy 11.
*July 8: FTC completes recording of testimonies of prosecution witnesses.
*July 11: JJB holds minor guilty of illegally confining and robbing a carpenter on December 16 night before allegedly taking part in the gang-rape. Delhi High Court allows three international news agencies to cover the trial in the case.
*August 22: FTC begins hearing final arguments in trial against four adult accused.
*August 31: JJB convicts the minor for gang-rape and murder and awards three-year term at probation home.
*September 3: FTC concludes trial. Reserves verdict.
*September 10: Court convicts Mukesh, Vinay, Akshay, Pawan of 13 offences including gang-rape, unnatural offence and murder of the girl and attempt to murder her male friend.
*September 13: Court awards death to all four convicts.
*September 23: Delhi High Court begins hearing the convicts` death sentence reference sent to it by the trial court.
*September 24: High Court decides to hear the death sentence reference on a day-to-day basis.
*October 7: Convicts Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur file appeal against conviction and sentence.
*November 12: Supreme Court asks HC not to rush through with the December16 gangrape case.
*January 3, 2014: HC reserves verdict on convicts` appeals.
*March 13: HC upholds death penalty awarded to the four convicts.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Curfew continues across Kashmir Valley as separatists extend shutdown till Monday
- France committed to leading Israel-Palestine talks: Hollande
- US sues Pennsylvania town for ban on building mosque
- Turkey temporarily suspends human rights convention after failed coup
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims