December 16 gang-rape accused lists Sheila Dikshit as defence witness
New Delhi: An accused in the Dec 16 gang-rape case Wednesday sought permission of a fast track court here to make Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit a defence witness in the case.
Counsel for Akshay Thakur told the court that the chief minister should be called as a defence witness as she had complained of interference by Delhi Police officers in recording the 23-year-old gang-rape victim`s statement by a sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) in December 2012.
Akshay`s counsel filed a list of defence witnesses before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna to prove his innocence, after the judge concluded recording of statement of all the accused.
Seeking permission to call Dikshit as witness in the case, Thakur`s counsel said: "We want to call Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit as a defence witness to prove the controversy regarding the false and planted statement of the victim."
Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan opposed Thakur`s request and said the defence counsel had named Dikshit to "get publicity".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!