December 16 gang-rape accused lists Sheila Dikshit as defence witness
New Delhi: An accused in the Dec 16 gang-rape case Wednesday sought permission of a fast track court here to make Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit a defence witness in the case.
Counsel for Akshay Thakur told the court that the chief minister should be called as a defence witness as she had complained of interference by Delhi Police officers in recording the 23-year-old gang-rape victim`s statement by a sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) in December 2012.
Akshay`s counsel filed a list of defence witnesses before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna to prove his innocence, after the judge concluded recording of statement of all the accused.
Seeking permission to call Dikshit as witness in the case, Thakur`s counsel said: "We want to call Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit as a defence witness to prove the controversy regarding the false and planted statement of the victim."
Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan opposed Thakur`s request and said the defence counsel had named Dikshit to "get publicity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- IIT-JEE Main rankings out; boys dominate list
- Oops! No changes in ticketing rules from July 1, says Railways
- Who said what on Anil Kumble's appointment as Team India's head coach
- 78 dead, 200 badly hurt in extreme weather in eastern China
- Watch this interesting movie-like trailer for NASA's Juno mission!