December 16 gang-rape case: Bar Council serves notice to defence lawyer
New Delhi: The Delhi Bar Council on Tuesday sought a response from A P Singh, the counsel for convicts in the December 16 gang-rape case, for his remarks that he would have burnt alive his daughter had she been having premarital sex and moving around at night with her boyfriend.
In a meeting held this evening under the Chairmanship of Surya Prakash Khatri, a majority of members of Bar Council of Delhi (BCD) took the view and issued a show-cause notice to Singh for his remarks soon after the convicts were awarded with death penalty on September 13.
Murari Tiwari, Secretary of DBC, said "although the issue was not in the agenda of today`s meeting Singh`s repeated defence of his statement forced the members to take a serious view and a issue show-cause notice as to why his license will not be suspended for making such "unwarranted remarks."
He said Singh had to reply by October 11 to the Council`s notice under the Advocates Act, adding "Singh`s statement was not only against the moral and professional ethics but also damaged the reputation of the legal profession."
The meeting was attended by 19 out of 25 members.
Apparently referring to the 23-year-old victim in the December 16 incident, Singh had told the media in reply to a question, "...If my daughter was having premarital sex and moving around at night with her boyfriend, I would have burnt her alive. I would not have let this situation happen. All parents should adopt such an attitude."
On September 13, a fast track court had awarded death penalty to four accused 10 for the gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedic student in a moving bus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy