December 16 gang-rape: Cops opposes bail plea of accused
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Saturday opposed in a special court the bail plea of one of the four accused in the December 16 gang-rape case, saying the accused may flee, tamper with evidence and try to influence witnesses.
Opposing the interim bail plea of accused Akshay Singh, Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan, replying to said, "The accused played a vital role in the commission of the offence in question".
"The gravity of the offence can be gauged by a bare perusal of the medical legal case (MLC) of the victim, who consequent to the brutal act of the accused (Akshay) and other accused persons, died due to the injuries," Krishnan said.
In the light of the commission of such grave offences, it was not in the interest of justice to grant the accused interim bail at this stage, he said.
"The conduct of accused during investigation also warrants dismissal of the present application as during the probe also Akshay was absconding and was finally arrested after a nation-wide manhunt.
"This coupled with the fact that Akshay has no family members, relatives or roots of any kind in New Delhi makes it highly probable that he will abscond again if he is granted interim bail," Krishnan told Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna.
He also said, "In view of the above facts, the interim bail application of Akshay is strongly opposed as the same is without merit and the accused has not made out any grounds for grant of interim bail to him."
Akshay had sought 15 days interim bail to visit his mother, who he said is in a critical stage in a hospital in Aurangabad. He had also said he was the only bread earner and there is no one else to look after his wife and minor kid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read