December 16 gang-rape: Cops opposes bail plea of accused
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Saturday opposed in a special court the bail plea of one of the four accused in the December 16 gang-rape case, saying the accused may flee, tamper with evidence and try to influence witnesses.
Opposing the interim bail plea of accused Akshay Singh, Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan, replying to said, "The accused played a vital role in the commission of the offence in question".
"The gravity of the offence can be gauged by a bare perusal of the medical legal case (MLC) of the victim, who consequent to the brutal act of the accused (Akshay) and other accused persons, died due to the injuries," Krishnan said.
In the light of the commission of such grave offences, it was not in the interest of justice to grant the accused interim bail at this stage, he said.
"The conduct of accused during investigation also warrants dismissal of the present application as during the probe also Akshay was absconding and was finally arrested after a nation-wide manhunt.
"This coupled with the fact that Akshay has no family members, relatives or roots of any kind in New Delhi makes it highly probable that he will abscond again if he is granted interim bail," Krishnan told Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna.
He also said, "In view of the above facts, the interim bail application of Akshay is strongly opposed as the same is without merit and the accused has not made out any grounds for grant of interim bail to him."
Akshay had sought 15 days interim bail to visit his mother, who he said is in a critical stage in a hospital in Aurangabad. He had also said he was the only bread earner and there is no one else to look after his wife and minor kid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark