December 16 gang-rape: Delhi HC upholds death penalty of 4 convicts
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday upheld the death sentence of four convicts in the December 16, 2012 gang-rape case.
A division bench of Justice Reva Khetrapal and Justice Pratibha Rani also dismissed the appeals of the four convicts challenging the trial court verdict awarding them death penalty.
Welcoming the HC`s decision, the father of the victim hoped it would act as a deterrent in the future.
Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi, meanwhile, pointed out that now it is to be seen how soon the Supreme Court and the President finalise the decision. The perpetrators will be hanged to death one day, added Bedi.
A 23-year-old physiotherapy intern was gang-raped, and brutally sexually assaulted by six men, including a juvenile, in a moving bus. The accused then threw her and her male companion out of the vehicle, stripped of clothing, to die by the roadside on the cold December night.
The woman died of grave intestinal injuries on December 29, 2012 at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, where she was airlifted for specialised treatment.
One of the six accused was found dead in a cell in Delhi`s Tihar Jail. A juvenile involved in the crime was on August 31, 2013 sent by the Juvenile Justice Board to a reform home for three years, the maximum term under the juvenile law.
The trial court had on September 13, 2013 awarded the death sentence to Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20).
The court had then referred the case to the high court for confirmation of the sentence.
The chargesheet was filed on January 03 last year.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened