December 16 gang-rape: SC extends stay on two convicts` execution
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday extended till April 7 the stay on the execution of death penalty of two of the four convicts in the December 16 gang-rape and murder case, asking for a copy of the trial court judgement.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and J Chelameswar said they have gone through the judgement of Delhi High Court which has upheld the conviction and death sentence of the four convicts on March 13 but would also like to go through the verdict of the trial court awarding the extreme punishment to the convicts.
The court adjourned the case till April 7 and extended the stay on execution of convicts Mukesh and Pawan Gupta till then.
The apex court had earlier on March 15 stayed till today the execution of death sentence of Mukesh and Pawan after advocate M L Sharma moved a petition regarding this.
Besides Mukesh (27) and Pawan (20), the High Court had also upheld the conviction and death penalty of Akshay Thakur (29) and Vinay Sharma (21).
While dismissing their appeals, the High Court had termed the offence as "extremely fiendish" and "unparallelled in the history of criminal jurisprudence" and said the "exemplary punishment" was the need of the hour.
It had also said if this case was not "the rarest of rare cases" then "there is likely to be none".
The 23-year-old paramedic, on the fateful night of December 16, 2012, was brutally assaulted and gang-raped by six persons in a moving bus in South Delhi and thrown out of the vehicle with her male friend.
She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
Prime accused in the case Ram Singh was found dead in Tihar Jail in March last year and the trial against him was abated.
The sixth accused, the juvenile was on August 31, 2013 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home by the Juvenile Justice Board.
Mukesh and Pawan in their appeal submitted that they were denied a fair trial due to public and political pressure and that they were not allowed to take the service of the lawyers of their choice.
"To satisfy political scenario and personal sympathy as the victim is a girl does not take away right of a fair trial which has been denied and the real accused has been left free for ever, which is evident from the records itself," the petition said.
They further contended the trial in the case was started on January 21, 2013 under public/political pressure, contrary to the legal provisions, with sole object to hang them and other accused persons.
"There are glaring evidence for miscarriage of justice on records for procuring false statement under torture by the prosecution," the petition has submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah