December 16 gang-rape: Witness not robbed before incident, says accused
New Delhi: One of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape case on Thursday claimed before a Delhi court that he, alongwith other five co-accused, had not beaten or robbed the carpenter on that night.
Ramadhar, a carpenter, was lured into the bus and robbed by six persons before they gang-raped a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus here.
Appearing as a prosecution witness, Ramadhar had identified the four accused present in the court as those who had robbed and assaulted him on the December 16 night.
However, accused Mukesh, who was recording his statement before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna said Ramadhar had boarded the bus on his own but he was aksed to get down from the vehicle after he refused to give the fare.
"It is correct that Ramadhar has boarded the bus on his own on December 16, 2012 evening from Sabji Mandi at Sector-4 of R K Puram in south Delhi.
"He deboarded the bus at IIT flyover. Accused Akshay asked to stop the bus as he was not paying the fare," Mukesh said adding the alleged victim was not thrown out of the bus.
However, the other accused Akshay Thakur said he was not present in the bus in which the girl was allegedly gang-raped by the six accused persons, including him.
"It is wrong that I was present in the bus on December 16, 2012 night. I was not in Delhi as I had left for my village on December 15, 2012," Akshay told the judge, denying his involvement in the crime.
When told that he, along with co-accused, had dumped the girl on the road after committing the crime, Akshay said "as I was not present there, then how could I do it"?
On December 16, a female physiotherapy intern was beaten up and gangraped in a bus in which she was travelling with her male friend who was also brutally attacked with an iron rod.
There were six others in the bus, including the driver, Ram Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh all of whom had raped the girl, it had said.
The victim died of her injuries on December 29 last year while undergoing treatment in a Singapore Hospital.
During the trial, Ram Singh was found dead in Tihar jail on March 11 and court proceedings against him stand abated.
The sixth accused, a juvenile, faced an inquiry before the juvenile justice board here.
Mukesh also said he is not aware why the carpenter has deposed against him.
He further told the judge that he was only driving the bus and was drunk on the night of the incident. Later, he pleaded the judge that he should be let off in the case as he is innocent.
During his deposition in the court, Mukesh also claimed the police had not arrested him from Rajasthan and he was picked from his house in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!