This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Decision to send rape victim to Singapore not political: Shinde

Last Updated: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 11:28

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Defending the decision of shifting the gang-rape victim to Singapore, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday said that it was done on doctors’ advice.

The Home Minister said the decision to shift the girl to Singapore was taken in the best interest of her.

Offering condolence to the girl’s family, Shinde said, “I am deeply saddened and will ensure severe and deterrent punishment to all culprits.”

In a message to the family, he said, "A real tribute to her will be to ensure maximum punishment to the culprits.

"I pledge to work to strengthen the laws and ensure that such an incident never gets repeated again," he said.

Shinde mourned the death of the young gang-rape victim in Singapore and promised to enact "more stringent laws" to prevent such crime.

"Her death will not go in vain," the minister said in a message. "There will be maximum punishment for the accused. This incident is a lesson (for all us)."

He said that rape laws in the country would be made more stringent in order to prevent such incidents.

As questions cropped up over shifting the Delhi gang-rape victim to Singapore, the doctor, who led the team that treated her in Safdarjung Hospital, and another who accompanied her in the air ambulance, today rebutted criticism of the decision saying the intention was to save her at any cost.

Maintaining that this was not the time to have a debate whether the decision to shift her was political or medical, Dr BD Athani, Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital, said "The pure intention was to save her. The whole nation was praying for her and everyone was hoping for the best. We could not have given hope. We wanted to save her."

Dr Yatin Mehta, a critical care specialist of the Medanta Medicity Hospital, said he was surprised by criticism of the decision.

The girl, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi, died in a Singapore hospital early this morning after battling for life for the past 13 days.

First Published: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 09:04
comments powered by Disqus