Declare me independent legislator, Vinod Kumar Binny tells court
New Delhi: Expelled Aam Aadmi Party legislator Vinod Kumar Binny Monday moved the Delhi High Court, seeking that it declare him an Independent member of the legislature.
The counsel appearing for Binny mentioned the matter before Acting Chief Justice BD Ahmed and Justice Sidharth Mridul who refused to hear the matter on urgent basis and posted it for Tuesday when Justice Manmohan will hear it.
Binny, who was elected from the Laxmi Nagar assembly constituency as an AAP candidate, filed a plea against the assembly speaker and the party.
Filing the plea, Binny said that he joined AAP in 2013 and on various instances raised his grievances with the (then) Chief Minister, Arvind Kejriwal on issues relating to willful inaction towards introduction of promised policies in the manifesto by the party.
"The petitioner (Binny) through a press conference expressed and raised his concern over the issue, following which he was expelled from the party and his membership of the party was also terminated by the disciplinary action committee through a letter dated Jan 26, thereby changing the status of the petitioner to that of an Independent member of legislative assembly (MLA)," the plea said.
The petition further added that Binny sent a letter to the Delhi assembly speaker Feb 3 seeking clarification on the status of his assembly membership and his right to vote.
The speaker`s reply Feb 11 was, Binny claimed "devoid of any merits, grossly illegal, unjustified and violation of democratic rights of an MLA". The plea said that subsequently he AAP issued two "illegal whips" Feb 13 and Feb 14, making it mandatory for him to attend the assembly and compelling him to caste his vote in the favour of party.
Moving the high court, Binny sought setting aside of the speaker`s letter, saying it posed an imminent threat to his continuance of him as a legislator. He also challenged issuance of two whips issued by AAP.
Binny sought to know that he was expelled by the party but since had not voluntarily resigned from the membership of the party, would he still belong to the same party and will have to follow the whips issued by the leader of his erstwhile party?
He said the provisions of the constitution of India and the Members of Delhi Legislative Assemblt (Disqualified on ground of defection) Rules, 1996 are silent on the expulsion of a member of the party being grounds for disqualification, why should a whip or direction of the political party be binding on its erstwhile member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt