Declare water emergency, deploy more water tankers: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday demanded Delhi Jal Board to declare "water emergency" and immediately deploy 500 more water tankers in the wake of acute shortage of water in various parts of the city.
A delegation of Congress leaders -- Jagdish Tytler, Mukesh Sharma, Mateen Ahmed and Hasan Ahmed -- led by DPCC chief Arvinder Singh Lovely today met the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) CEO.
They demanded water emergency be declared in the national Capital and also immediate deployment of 500 more water tankers to tackle water shortage in Delhi.
The Congress delegation also had a minor clash with the police at DJB Headquarters after they did not allowed them to meet DJB CEO to hand over their memorandum. They were later allowed to meet the Jal Board chief following intervention of senior police officials.
"Water emergency should immediately be declared in Delhi and 500 more water tankers deployed to tackle the situation," DPCC chief Arvinder Singh Lovely told reporters here.
Congress leaders said there was acute water shortage in West, South and North Delhi like Bindapur, Budella Village in Vikaspuri, Devli, Chattarpur, Sangam Vihar, Palam, Brijwasan, Jaffrabad, Kakrola, Dwarka, Ambedkar Nagar.
The delegation also demanded that DJB should also put the Delhi Fire Services for the distribution of drinking water.
Meanwhile, some Congress workers, continuing their stir against the power and water crisis, today held a dharna against the BJP and the AAP near the Shahdara Metro station and blocked roads, causing traffic jams for several hours.
DPCC chief spokesperson Mukesh Sharma said that Congress workers will hold chakka jams at the Babu Ram Chowk, Shahdara at 11 AM tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Rs 5 lakh compensation to family of woman devoured by dogs in Kerala
- At least 3 killed in suicide attack in Afghanistan's Balkh province
- UN General Assembly President-elect to visit India
- India needs to tread the innovation path to progress
- Janmashtami 2016: Send these devotional TEXT MESSAGES to your loved ones right away!