Deepak Bhardwaj murder case: 4 arrested; police mum on motive
New Delhi: The Delhi police on Monday announced that they have arrested four people in connection with the murder of Bahujan Samaj Party leader and business tycoon Deepak Bhardwaj in his south Delhi farmhouse.
Addressing a press conference, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Chhaya Sharma said that two shooters - Purushottam Rana alias Monu, Sunil Mann alias Sonu - car owner Rakesh alias Bhola, and Amit, the driver of the car, have been arrested.
On the basis of the information provided by Rakesh, the owner of the grey-coloured Skoda Laura car used in the sensational murder, Amit was arrested, said Sharma.
The DCP (South), however, refused to reveal any more details in connection with the case, saying information on motive as well as conspirator will be provided as the investigation proceeds.
Earlier in the day, Purushottam was apprehended from outside Patiala House court complex this morning but his accomplice, Sunil Mann, managed to evade the waiting police and entered a court room but the judge refused to hear the matter and handed him over to the police.
Meanwhile, media reports have quoted police sources as saying that Bhardwaj`s wife, Ramesh Kumari, and his sons, Hitesh and Nitesh, could be behind the murder of the BSP leader.
The trio have been interrogated by police.
Police sources said they had a tip off about the possible surrender but they could manage to catch Rana only.
At Patiala House court complex, Mann managed to enter Metropolitan Magistrate Prashant Sharma`s court to surrender but the judge refused to hear the matter and directed the Delhi Police Crime Branch officials, who were present there, to take the accused out of the court room.
The magistrate was angry with the conduct of the persons who were accompanying Mann and said he would not hear the matter today.
"Is this the way you behave in court room? Don`t you know that the accused is charged in a murder case under Section 302 IPC? I will not take up the matter today. Take the accused out of the court room," the magistrate said.
As the police officials took the accused outside the court room, a ruckus was created by the persons who were accompanying Mann and the police had to struggle to put him inside their vehicle.
The police had issued lookout circulars against the two suspected shooters-- Rana and Mann.
Bharadwaj, the richest candidate in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls from Delhi with declared assets of over Rs 600 crore, was shot dead on March 26 at around 9 am by unidentified men in his 35-acre farmhouse in south Delhi`s Rajokri.
A post-mortem examination report revealed Bharadwaj had been shot thrice -- once in his head and twice in his chest.
The killers entered the farmhouse on the pretext of meeting Bharadwaj to book a marriage venue in the farmhouse complex.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla