Defamation case: BJP`s Vijender Gupta moves HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on a petition filed by BJP leader Vijender Gupta challenging a trial court order for framing of charges against him in a criminal defamation complaint lodged by Dikshit and seeking a stay on its proceedings.
"Issue notice to Respondent no. 1 (Dikshit) returnable by August 5," Justice J R Midha said.
The court also issued a notice to the state government.
Gupta had moved the High Court against the July 1 order of a magisterial court holding that charge under section 500 IPC (punishment for defamation) is made out against him.
The trial court order had come on a complaint filed by Dikshit alleging that the BJP leader used uncivilised language against her in the run up to MCD polls last year.
Gupta in his appeal contended Dikshit had instituted a false and frivolous complaint on the basis of newspapers reports which had published his interview.
"Our entire case is that it is hearsay and all the newspaper reports have been wrongly published," he contended adding the trial court had mechanically issued summons seeking his personal appearance.
Gupta`s counsel Ajay Burman told the High Court that "Dikshit had in her complaint showed him to be the alleged maker of the statements which were published by various newspapers but neither any reporter, editor, printer or publisher has been made an accused nor produced as a witness."
"The content of newspaper reports read in entirety and in its context clearly show that the same are not defamatory .... The alleged newspaper reports show that words used in context give a different meaning and cannot be termed as defamatory," he said, adding Dikshit had chosen words separately to file the complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"