Defamation case: BJP`s Vijender Gupta moves HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on a petition filed by BJP leader Vijender Gupta challenging a trial court order for framing of charges against him in a criminal defamation complaint lodged by Dikshit and seeking a stay on its proceedings.
"Issue notice to Respondent no. 1 (Dikshit) returnable by August 5," Justice J R Midha said.
The court also issued a notice to the state government.
Gupta had moved the High Court against the July 1 order of a magisterial court holding that charge under section 500 IPC (punishment for defamation) is made out against him.
The trial court order had come on a complaint filed by Dikshit alleging that the BJP leader used uncivilised language against her in the run up to MCD polls last year.
Gupta in his appeal contended Dikshit had instituted a false and frivolous complaint on the basis of newspapers reports which had published his interview.
"Our entire case is that it is hearsay and all the newspaper reports have been wrongly published," he contended adding the trial court had mechanically issued summons seeking his personal appearance.
Gupta`s counsel Ajay Burman told the High Court that "Dikshit had in her complaint showed him to be the alleged maker of the statements which were published by various newspapers but neither any reporter, editor, printer or publisher has been made an accused nor produced as a witness."
"The content of newspaper reports read in entirety and in its context clearly show that the same are not defamatory .... The alleged newspaper reports show that words used in context give a different meaning and cannot be termed as defamatory," he said, adding Dikshit had chosen words separately to file the complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title