Defamation case: Court advises Patkar, Saxena
New Delhi: Narmada Bachao Andolan activist Medha Patkar and President of the Ahmedabad-based NGO VK Saxena were Thursday advised by a Delhi court to settle their differences and withdraw their defamation cases, filed 12 years ago against each other.
Metropolitan Magistrate Deepak Wason asked Patkar and Saxena, President of National Council of Civil Liberties (NCCL)to sit together and settle the dispute among themselves.
"Court suggests (to the parties) to sit and discuss the matter amicably. Let me know what you have come to by April 6, the next date of hearing," the court said.
The court also said that after coming to a conclusion, it would be better for them to withdraw the case.
"Why don`t you compromise the matter, why you are involved in such a criminal case," it said.
Meanwhile, court allowed Patkar`s plea for exemption from personal appearance for the day.
During the proceedings, Saxena alleged that Patkar has filed a false criminal case against him in Ahmedabad also and this is not only a defamation case, "it is a case to expose the anti-national activities of her, who is hell bent to halt the progress of the country."
Patkar`s counsel V K Ohri said it is a debatable issue which can be debated outside the court.
Patkar had filed two defamation cases against Saxena, who too had filed a counter defamation case against the NBA leader.
She had filed a defamation suit for publication of an article `True Face of Medha Patkar and her NBA` in 2000 allegedly at the behest of Saxena against whom the court has already framed charges.
The case was shifted from Ahmedabad to Delhi by the Supreme Court on a plea of the NBA activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says