Defence counsel`s remark in gang-rape case `outrageous`: Anand Sharma
New Delhi: Commerce Minister Anand Sharma on Sunday termed the controversial remark of one of the defence lawyers in the December 16 gang-rape case as "outrageous".
"What he has said is outrageous and deserves to be condemned," he told reporters here.
He said that the Bar Council of India should take action against the lawyer.
"...By uttering such things, he has assaulted the dignity of the noble profession. Justice have to be done and justice has been delivered," he added.
One of the defence lawyers in the December 16 gang-rape case has courted trouble with his remarks that he would have burnt alive his daughter had she been having premarital sex and moving around at night with her boyfriend.
The Delhi Bar Council has taken a serious view of the comment of A P Singh, lawyer for two of the convicts, after it received many complaints from NGOs and other organisations condemning the statement made by him.
Apparently referring to the 23-year-old victim in the December 16 incident, Singh had told the media in reply to a question, "...If my daughter was having premarital sex and moving around at night with her boyfriend, I would have burnt her alive. I would not have let this situation happen. All parents should adopt such an attitude."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read