Dehiites observe Earth Hour
New Delhi: Delhiites tonight joined millions
of people across the globe to observe the Earth Hour by
switching off electrical appliances for an hour to pledge
support to combat the threat of global warming.
Several shopping malls, hotels and major markets also
observed the event marked across major cities of the world
annually to pledge support for protecting the environment.
Organised by World Wide Fund for Nature, the `Earth
Hour` is celebrated across major cities of the world on the
last Saturday of March annually by turning off non-essential
lights and electrical appliances for one hour from 8:30 pm to
With almost 50 million supporters across the globe and
a network in over 100 countries, the annual `Earth Hour`
initiative has emerged as one of the largest global campaigns
to combat climate change.
City Discoms BSES and NDPL had appealed to their
consumers to observe the event.
Started in Sydney in Australia in 2007, the `Earth
Hour` had become a global event in 2008 with participation of
35 countries. India joined the Earth Hour campaign in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31