`Delay in project completion due to land acquisition problems`
New Delhi: Large infrastructure projects were being delayed mainly due to problems in land acquisition, which in turn was leading to cost overrun, the government said in the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
"Basic reason for time overrun is because of land acquisition ....(and) cost overrun is due to time overrun," Statistics and Programme Implementation Minister Srikant Kumar Jena said during Question Hour.
He said during April-September 2011, 40 central sector infrastructure projects were completed. Cost of each of these projects was Rs 150 crore or more.
"The total original cost of these 40 projects was Rs 38,083.93 crore whereas the anticipated expenditure...On the date of completion was Rs 44,297.81 crore leading to a cost overrun of Rs 6,213.88 crore," he said.
He said the expenditure as reported by the project authorities on completion would get revised as and when the accounts are finalised.
To a query related to fixing accountability for delay in projects, Jena said it was an ongoing process and responsibilities are fixed.
He also said the concerned ministries, Prime Minister`s Office and the office of Cabinet Secretary monitor implementation of projects on a regular basis.
As per the list provided by the minister on the 40 infrastructure projects, as many as 15 were completed with a delay of 30 months or more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof