Delayed justice a world-wide problem: SC judge
New Delhi: The delay in justice delivery is a
world-wide problem and alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
mechanisms, like arbitration, can be the cure to the malady,
Supreme Court judge Justice Altamas Kabir has said.
"People involved in business or commerce would rather go
in for arbitration than to the regular courts, this is the
change in thinking. The reason is dispensation of justice
quickly, which is one of the most important problems, not only
in India but the world over," said Justice Kabir, addressing a
"People or businessmen do not mind an adverse judgement,
all they want is to get it over with quickly so that they can
move on, rather than have things hanging over their heads," he
The apex court judge was speaking on the theme of `Legal
Trends, Thoughts and Times` at the 22nd Annual Conference of
the Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA), which was also
attended by Union Minister for Corporate Affairs Veerappa
He pointed out that the legal profession has changed a lot
now from when he had joined it.
"Not much importance was given to the study of law. Basic
idea was to get a degree so as to get a better salary or a
promotion, very few people studied it to join the profession,"
Speaking at the function, Moily hailed the Indian judicial
system saying it is the "most effective" system in the world
and "the belief in rule of law is the strongest here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly