Delayed justice a world-wide problem: SC judge
New Delhi: The delay in justice delivery is a
world-wide problem and alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
mechanisms, like arbitration, can be the cure to the malady,
Supreme Court judge Justice Altamas Kabir has said.
"People involved in business or commerce would rather go
in for arbitration than to the regular courts, this is the
change in thinking. The reason is dispensation of justice
quickly, which is one of the most important problems, not only
in India but the world over," said Justice Kabir, addressing a
"People or businessmen do not mind an adverse judgement,
all they want is to get it over with quickly so that they can
move on, rather than have things hanging over their heads," he
The apex court judge was speaking on the theme of `Legal
Trends, Thoughts and Times` at the 22nd Annual Conference of
the Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA), which was also
attended by Union Minister for Corporate Affairs Veerappa
He pointed out that the legal profession has changed a lot
now from when he had joined it.
"Not much importance was given to the study of law. Basic
idea was to get a degree so as to get a better salary or a
promotion, very few people studied it to join the profession,"
Speaking at the function, Moily hailed the Indian judicial
system saying it is the "most effective" system in the world
and "the belief in rule of law is the strongest here."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India