Delays in CWG works but no need to panic: Sheila Dikshit
Delhi CM rejected charges that the Commonwealth Games will be failure and the city will overcome glitches.
New Delhi: Accepting that there have been delays in various projects of the Commonwealth Games slated to be held in Delhi in October, the Capital’s Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday assured that the city will overcome and make India proud.
“There is no need to panic. All the games-related works
are going as per schedule. If there are delays, then delays
are not something to be panic about. These will be the best ever games. PM has expressed confidence in our preparations,” Dikshit said in a press conference.
She angrily rejected the suggestion that CWG CEO Michael Hooper had suggested that the games could be shifted to London if Delhi is not prepared.
“Who is Michael Hooper?” she quipped.
In fact the CM appeared to be in a combative mood before the press when asked about the CBI probe which reportedly has been recommended by the Central Vigilance Commission into irregularities.
“Whenever action needs to be taken it will be taken but only after the games. I have not got any report from the CVC or any one else,” she said. Even the Union Sports Minister MS Gill denied any knowledge about the issue.
Official sources said a letter of complaint has been sent
to CBI asking for a probe into alleged criminal conspiracy by
unknown MCD officials while granting work for upgradation of
street lighting in the national capital.
They said the contractor who had got the job after quoting
the lowest amount for the project was later allegedly allowed
to change the figures to earn more profit.
BJP has demanded a judicial
inquiry in the matter after the sporting event gets over.
When confronted with facts about incomplete work and the accountability for it, Dikshit asked whether the reporter wanted her to go to jail.
"I would not comment on the report at present as we have
not received any information about it. When the reports come
to us, action, if required, will be taken. (But) Right now
work is going on and action, if needed anywhere and at any
level, will be taken only after the mega event," she added.
Dikshit maintained that after the report is submitted,
"it is the practice in the government to take appropriate
steps. It is a continuous process and eventually everything
will be taken into account".
She also announced that all major cleaning of debris will be over by August 10 and that 16000 tonnes had already been cleaned. “By August 20 all venues will be spruced up. In September we will work on finishing touches and whatever else is remaining,” she informed.
The CM also rejected a suggestion that the government will face losses.
“"The way we are functioning, the way things are
happening, we would be saving money rather then overspending
it. But right now, it will not be possible to tell how much we
would be able to save," Dikshit offered.