Delays, overcrowding as technical problems hit Delhi Metro
New Delhi: A technical problem hit metro services on the Noida-Dwarka Delhi metro route early Tuesday, causing inordinate delays and harassment to hundreds of commuters. As a result of the delay, there was overcrowding in many stations.
"There was a signalling problem in Rajouri Garden near Dwarka Tuesday morning which may have caused the delay on the route," a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson told IANS.
Hundreds of commuters were left in the lurch as a train got stuck near the Mayur Vihar station on the Noida-Dwarka route for about half an hour.
As a result of the delay, Rajiv Chowk, Lakshmi Nagar and Mayur Vihar stations were especially overcrowded.
Said Ashima Jani, an office goer: "I had to reach office early today (Tuesday) because of an important meeting and so decided to take the Metro instead of risking being stuck in the road traffic."
"But it was a bad decision. It took me almost 30 minutes extra to reach Connaught Place from my home in east Delhi," she added.
Added Rajiv Sharma, a student: "I had to board the Metro at Rajiv Chowk station but there was such a big crowd that I decided to skip it. The queue for entry into the station itself seemed endless."
"Every other day, there is some technical problem in the Metro. Unlike earlier, now you just can`t be sure how long a journey will take," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back