Delhi: 12 children disappear every day; majority girls
New Delhi: Twelve children disappear in Delhi every day, with missing girls outnumbering boys.
A total of 3,171 children -- 1,652 girls and 1,519 boys -- went missing in the capital this year till August 15 and police are yet to trace 985 of them, according to official statistics.
But police say the rate of missing children has come down marginally this year compared to last year. According to statistics, on an average 14 children went missing in a day in 2011, while it has come down to 12 in 2012.
Last year, a total of 5,111 -- 2,665 girls and 2,446 boys -- went missing out of which 981 are yet to be located.
The last two years have seen the number of missing girls surpassing boys. The number of untraced girls has also been on the higher side.
"No specific reason can be attributed to the disappearance of children," a senior police official said.
He said children, who were traced cited various reasons for their disappearance, including being misguided by people, maltreatment by parents, pressure of studies, unsound mind, going on own will, elopement and human trafficking.
In 2009, 5,946 children went missing, while 5,091 disappeared in 2010.
According to figures, a total of 19,320 children went missing between 2009 January and August 15, 2012, out of which 3,305 are yet to be traced.
Out of the 3,305 untraced children, girls are a majority at 1,731 while the number of boys was 1,574.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened