Delhi: 20,000 people fined for violating smoking ban
New Delhi: Cracking the whip, Delhi
Government fined as many as 20,405 people, including 27
women, during 2010-11 for violating the ban on smoking in
public places while around 3,200 errant tobacco vendors were
penalised during the period.
Raid Squads of the health department inspected
1,75,906 places and an amount of Rs 18.22 lakh was collected
as fine from the violators, Delhi Health Minister AK Walia
said, giving details on the occasion of `World No Tobbaco day`
The World Health Organisation observes the day on May
31 every year, highlighting health risks associated with
tobacco use and advocating policies to reduce consumption.
"During April 2010 to March 2011, a total of 20,405
people including 27 women and around 3,200 tobacco vendors
were penalised," he said. Walia said around 3,000 people die
everyday due to tobacco habits in India.
Vowing to intensify the crackdown against the
violators of ban on smoking in public places, Walia exhorted
smokers to leave the habit and Delhi is a pioneering state to
implement tobacco control legislations.
"We are strongly committed to implement provisions of
Delhi Prohibition of Smoking and Non Smoker`s Health
Protection Act 1996 and the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco
Products Act 2003," he said.
Both the legislations have provision relating to ban
in smoking in public places, prohibiting sale of tobacco
products to the minors, prohibiting sale of tobacco products
within hundred meter radius of a school and ban on
advertisement of tobacco products.
"Use of tobacco is a major cause of lung disease,
heart disease, asthma attack, respiratory diseases, chronic
cough and tuberculosis," Walia said adding consumption of
tobacco causes around 10 lakh deaths per year in the country.
Walia requested smokers to shun their habit of smoking
and make use of no smoking zones in case they still want to
The government is keen to virtually make Delhi smoke
free with the intention to protect the citizen from the ill
effects of exposure to tobacco smoke, to reduce the prevalence
of smoking and to honour the rights of the citizens to breathe
In India, the world`s second-largest producer and
consumer of tobacco after China, over 241 million people are
estimated to be using tobacco in some form or the other.
According to the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS)
2009-2010, nearly 35 per cent of Indians (47 per cent of men
and 20.3 per cent of women) are currently using some form of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule