Delhi: 4 arrested for illegal trafficking
New Delhi: Four persons have been arrested in connection with recovery of 105 passports from an unclaimed baggage at Indira Gandhi International Airport here with police on Friday claiming to have smashed a human trafficking racket.
A case was registered early this month after Customs
officials handed over the baggage which came in a Turkish
Airlines flight a year ago and was seized during checking.
Investigators claimed that the racket used Qatar, Turkish
and Emirates airlines for trafficking people to the United
States. They used to make people come to Delhi and take them
to Istanbul and then Guatemala.
The illegal immigrants were made to enter the US through
forests, they said.
Sawan Rajnikant Trivedi from Ahemedabad, Guramrit Pal
Ahmedabad from Punjab, Shashi Kiran Reddy from Hyderabad and
Sujeet Kumar from Delhi were arrested following investigations
into the seizure of the baggage containing passports.
Investigators had suspected these passports could have
been used by a human trafficking racket.
Trivedi, who was kidnapped for ransom in 2006, had
allegedly carried the baggage of 105 passports from Guatemala
through Istanbul to Delhi.
"The baggage was delayed at the time of arrival which was
later received by Custom at IGI. Trivedi has a good network in
Gujarat, Delhi and Guatemala," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez