Delhi: 4 arrested for illegal trafficking
New Delhi: Four persons have been arrested in connection with recovery of 105 passports from an unclaimed baggage at Indira Gandhi International Airport here with police on Friday claiming to have smashed a human trafficking racket.
A case was registered early this month after Customs
officials handed over the baggage which came in a Turkish
Airlines flight a year ago and was seized during checking.
Investigators claimed that the racket used Qatar, Turkish
and Emirates airlines for trafficking people to the United
States. They used to make people come to Delhi and take them
to Istanbul and then Guatemala.
The illegal immigrants were made to enter the US through
forests, they said.
Sawan Rajnikant Trivedi from Ahemedabad, Guramrit Pal
Ahmedabad from Punjab, Shashi Kiran Reddy from Hyderabad and
Sujeet Kumar from Delhi were arrested following investigations
into the seizure of the baggage containing passports.
Investigators had suspected these passports could have
been used by a human trafficking racket.
Trivedi, who was kidnapped for ransom in 2006, had
allegedly carried the baggage of 105 passports from Guatemala
through Istanbul to Delhi.
"The baggage was delayed at the time of arrival which was
later received by Custom at IGI. Trivedi has a good network in
Gujarat, Delhi and Guatemala," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!