Delhi: 4 arrested for illegal trafficking
New Delhi: Four persons have been arrested in connection with recovery of 105 passports from an unclaimed baggage at Indira Gandhi International Airport here with police on Friday claiming to have smashed a human trafficking racket.
A case was registered early this month after Customs
officials handed over the baggage which came in a Turkish
Airlines flight a year ago and was seized during checking.
Investigators claimed that the racket used Qatar, Turkish
and Emirates airlines for trafficking people to the United
States. They used to make people come to Delhi and take them
to Istanbul and then Guatemala.
The illegal immigrants were made to enter the US through
forests, they said.
Sawan Rajnikant Trivedi from Ahemedabad, Guramrit Pal
Ahmedabad from Punjab, Shashi Kiran Reddy from Hyderabad and
Sujeet Kumar from Delhi were arrested following investigations
into the seizure of the baggage containing passports.
Investigators had suspected these passports could have
been used by a human trafficking racket.
Trivedi, who was kidnapped for ransom in 2006, had
allegedly carried the baggage of 105 passports from Guatemala
through Istanbul to Delhi.
"The baggage was delayed at the time of arrival which was
later received by Custom at IGI. Trivedi has a good network in
Gujarat, Delhi and Guatemala," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you