Delhi: 4 drowned during idol immersion
New Delhi: Durga Puja celebrations turned
tragic for four families in the capital on Thursday as four youths
drowned in Yamuna river during immersion of idols of the
Goddess, police said.
The incident was reported from near Wazirabad crematorium
in north Delhi at around 3.45 pm when the four youths,
including a group of three teenaged friends, were immersing
the idols in the Yamuna.
Himmat (18), Puran (19), Jishan (19), all residing in
Dwarka, and Deepak were drowned. The bodies of three friends
were recovered later but Deepak is yet to be located.
Rescue workers were on the job till late in the evening
but Deepak is yet to be rescued, a senior police official
said, adding fire brigade officials and divers were searching
Meanwhile, the Bengali community and others in the
capital celebrated the culmination of Durga Puja in grand
style as they bid farewell to the Goddess on the final day of
festivities, immersing idols in rivers across the city.
Chanting `Bolo Bolo Durga Mai Ki, Jai`, people took the
giant idols of Goddess Durga from puja venues to the banks
of Yamuna and immersed it after offering prayers.
Special rituals were performed in front of the idols of
the Goddess and her four children before they were taken to
the banks of Yamuna for immersion.
Various puja venues across the city, including the
famous ones in Chittaranjan Park and Karol Bagh, saw large
number of people queueing up to seek the blessings of the
mother goddess this morning.
Adequate number of policemen were deployed across the
city to streamline the rush of devotees who were headed
towards riverbanks to immerse the idols. A large number of
policemen were spotted at river banks also.
The ceremony of immersion of idols led to traffic
snarls in many areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach