Delhi: 4 sentenced to life term in kidnapping case
New Delhi: A court here has sentenced four
persons to life imprisonment for kidnapping a Delhi resident, holding him hostage and demanding Rs 20 lakh as ransom.
While holding Rajbir, 27, Damodar, 23, Bharat, 56 and Neeraj, 25 guilty of kidnapping Delhi resident Om Prakash for ransom, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Anju Bajaj Chandna
sentenced them to life term in jail and also imposed a fine of
Rs 10,000 on each of them.
"Keeping in view the facts and circumstances, the nature
of offence and the antecedents of the convicts, I sentence all
the convicts to rigorous imprisonment for life and a fine of
Rs 10,000 each for offences punishable under sections 364 A
(kidnapping for ransom) and 368 (wrongfully keeping in
confinement the kidnapped person) of the IPC," the ASJ said.
The court passed the order on a case lodged by the police
on victim`s wife Nanhi`s compliant that her husband had gone
missing. She said he had told her that he was going out for 2
or 3 days, but he failed to return in time and she, instead,
began getting ransom calls through his mobile phone.
She told the court that the kidnappers had told her to
reach Dhaulpur petrol pump in Rajasthan with Rs 20 lakh and
accordingly, she went there with her son on November 5, 2010
accompanied by a police party.
Rajbir and Damodar, who hail from Dhaulpur, Rajasthan were
apprehended by the police when they arrived there to collect
the ransom, Nanhi told the court.
Victim Om Prakash testified in court that he was taken
away to Muraina in Madhya Pradesh by Neeraj on a false pretext
where he was handed over to Bharat and was forced to call his
wife for Rs 20 lakhs as ransom.
"In the face of strong and convincing evidence of the
victim and his wife...and further with the electronic evidence
I hold that prosecution has been able to bring home the guilt
of the accused persons," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash