Delhi Airport Metro registers steady growth
New Delhi: From a modest 4,000 commuters to
15,000 passengers now -- the showcase Delhi Airport Metro
Express has come a long way in terms of ridership since its
opening over six months ago.
In the past six months, over 15 lakh people have
travelled on the high-speed corridor that takes passengers
from Connaught Place in the heart of Delhi to the swanky new
Terminal-3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport in flat
The ridership on the 23-km link has been increasingly
steadily since it was launched on February 23 with an initial
16-hour service which has now been increased to 18 hours and
will gradually become 20 hours.
"We are happy that Reliance Airport Metro Express is
gaining popularity among both local Delhiites and the airport
bound travellers that are reflected in the growth in
"Currently, 70 per cent of the commuters are airport
bound, whereas 30 per cent are local Delhiites," Lalit Jalan,
CEO, Reliance Infrastructure, said.
When the services began in February, the ridership was a
modest of 4,000 commuters and with the operational hours being
increased the ridership had shown a gradual rise.
With all the six stations operational now and check-in
systems in place at two stations, the Reliance Infra-led
consortium that operates the line is confident that the
ridership will increase further in the coming days.
In the last six months, 15 lakh commuters had experienced
the safer, faster and reliable mode of transport being run at
a punctuality rate of 99.9 per cent, Jalan said.
Besides fliers, residents of the satellite city of Dwarka
also opt for the Line to reach their offices and home faster.
Most of the Dwarka residents avail the monthly pass
facility offered by the operator.
Check-in facilities without baggage will be operational
soon at Dhaula Kuan station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head