Delhi airport registers record flight movement in an hour
New Delhi: The Indira Gandhi International Airport here has handled a record 73 number of flight movements in the country in an hour on a particular day.
"We are delighted to inform you that the Air Traffic Control at Delhi airport handled a total of 73 aircraft movements in one hour on Thursday last, January 24. It is the record number of air traffic movements ever made at any airport in India, thanks to efforts by the ATC team," said I Prabhakara Rao, CEO of Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) which operates the airport.
The record was set between 14:00 and 15:00 hours on January 24.
"For half an hour, two runways were in use and for the other half an hour, all three runways were in use. It is certainly a testimony to the combined efforts of ATC, DIAL and the airlines," Rao said.
The previous high ATM was recorded in December 2012 when 62 flight movements were recorded.
Delhi is the busiest airport handling over 800 flight movements per day.
Mumbai airport, which is the second busiest, has a record of handling around 35 flights in an hour, a DIAL spokesperson said.
Delhi airport is ranked number two in the world by Airport Council International (ACI) in the category of 25-40 million passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users