Delhi Assembly passes resolution on food bill
New Delhi: The Delhi assembly Tuesday congratulated Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for getting the food security bill passed in the Lok Sabha.
The legislation, which aims to provide subsidised foodgrain at prices much below the market rate to around 67 percent of India`s 1.2 billion people, has been dubbed a "game changer" for the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government ahead of the 2014 general elections.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s parliamentary secretary Mukesh Sharma moved the resolution.
"The bill seeks to ensure the supply of wheat, rice and coarse wheat to 73 lakh people in Delhi and over 820 million in the country at highly subsidised rates," the resolution said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev