Delhi Assembly passes resolution on food bill
New Delhi: The Delhi assembly Tuesday congratulated Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for getting the food security bill passed in the Lok Sabha.
The legislation, which aims to provide subsidised foodgrain at prices much below the market rate to around 67 percent of India`s 1.2 billion people, has been dubbed a "game changer" for the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government ahead of the 2014 general elections.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s parliamentary secretary Mukesh Sharma moved the resolution.
"The bill seeks to ensure the supply of wheat, rice and coarse wheat to 73 lakh people in Delhi and over 820 million in the country at highly subsidised rates," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video