Delhi Assembly passes resolution on food bill
New Delhi: The Delhi assembly Tuesday congratulated Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for getting the food security bill passed in the Lok Sabha.
The legislation, which aims to provide subsidised foodgrain at prices much below the market rate to around 67 percent of India`s 1.2 billion people, has been dubbed a "game changer" for the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government ahead of the 2014 general elections.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s parliamentary secretary Mukesh Sharma moved the resolution.
"The bill seeks to ensure the supply of wheat, rice and coarse wheat to 73 lakh people in Delhi and over 820 million in the country at highly subsidised rates," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi