Delhi Assembly passes resolution on full statehood for Capital
New Delhi: Delhi Assembly today passed a
resolution demanding full statehood for the national capital.
The resolution was passed in the absence of BJP MLAs who
were earlier evicted from the House after a protest demanding
the setting up of a House Committee to probe corruption in
Commonwealth Games related projects.
Participating in a discussion, Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit said full statehood has been a longstanding demand of
Delhi and it should be granted as government has been facing
difficulties due to multiplicity of authorities.
She said government does not want statehood for Delhi
like that of others but Delhi should get more powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror