Delhi Assembly passes resolution on full statehood for Capital
New Delhi: Delhi Assembly today passed a
resolution demanding full statehood for the national capital.
The resolution was passed in the absence of BJP MLAs who
were earlier evicted from the House after a protest demanding
the setting up of a House Committee to probe corruption in
Commonwealth Games related projects.
Participating in a discussion, Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit said full statehood has been a longstanding demand of
Delhi and it should be granted as government has been facing
difficulties due to multiplicity of authorities.
She said government does not want statehood for Delhi
like that of others but Delhi should get more powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren