Delhi assembly poll results cause for introspection: Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday accepted assembly election results in Delhi are a "cause for introspection" as people now judge political parties "more harshly" and expect credibility from them even as it charged Congress with having failed on this front as it is mired in corruption cases.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley today said in an article posted on the BJP website that the lesson for parties in 2014 is that the bar of expectation has been raised higher by the people and they are judging "harshly" both persons in public life and the quality of governance.
Though Jaitley attacked Congress, saying Delhi elections proved the government here had lost credibility and hence fared badly, he said BJP also needs to introspect.
He reasoned that since Delhi was the "epicenter of the anti-corruption movement" in the past three years and Congress failed miserably on this count, it ended up being a clear loser. He conceded BJP could not sweep the polls as a section of the electorate was impressed with the idea of experimenting a new alternative.
"It was a silent protest against the quality of conventional politics that gave a significant number of votes to the Aam Aadmi Party," Jaitley said.
"Even though BJP emerged as the largest party in terms of votes and seats, the election results of Delhi are a cause of introspection for the BJP. It`s state leaders, as also individual candidates, will have to measure up to popular expectations," he added.
Among the corrective steps BJP is taking is to nationally approach ten crore households for collecting small donations for the party`s election expenses. This idea appears to have been borrowed from AAP which had collected small sums as donations during the Delhi elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh