Delhi assembly polls: AAP to field strong candidate against Harsh Vardhan
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party is keen to field a strong candidate against BJP`s Chief Ministerial candidate Harsh Vardhan from Krishna Nagar constituency in forthcoming Delhi assembly polls.
AAP was earlier planning to field its star campaigner Kumar Vishwas against Vardhan. The party, however, claimed that it never declared Vishwas as party candidate from Krishna Nagar and was still searching for a strong contestant.
"We had discussions on his name, but we felt his services would be required for all assembly constituencies as he is our star campaigner, so we have dropped the idea to field him," a senior party leader said.
He said, Vishwas had never expressed his desire to contest polls and "it would be not in anybody`s favour to bind him in one constituency, when he is in demand everywhere."
The Arvind Kejriwal-led party, which is making its electoral debut in the December 4 Delhi Assembly elections, had finalised its candidate -- a civil engineer, Sushil Chauhan -- from Krishna Nagar Assembly constituency but he withdrew citing "family reasons".
The party is in a dilemma in deciding a prominent political face who can take on the senior BJP leader and four-time MLA, whom Kejriwal had termed as "Manmohan Singh of BJP" after his name was cleared by BJP`s parliamentary committee as the Chief Ministerial candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why