Delhi Assembly polls: BJP woos Poorvanchalis
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday sought to woo Poorvanchal votes by promising a series of sops for them if the party came back to power in assembly elections in December.
Bhojpuri singer Manoj Tiwari failed to join Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel during the press confernce but BJP announced the joining of four members from different political parties today, including those from BSP, Congress and JD(U).
Claiming the party is "most concerned" about Poorvanchalis residing in Delhi, Goel said a large number of these people reside in unauthorized colonies and "the first step we will take is call them "self-made colonies".
"From now on, BJP will call them "self-made colonies" instead of unauthorized colonies. Government did not provide housing facilities to them, so they became colonizers on their own and made these colonies. But they do not have facilities. We will give them ration, sewer and water. If we bring water from Munak canal, we can get 20 per cent more water for them," Goel told reporters.
The Delhi BJP president also announced the opening of a helpline for Poorvanchalis if their government came to power as it will help their voice being heard in both police stations and government. Goel had already announced that `chaat` festival will be declared as a public holiday.
Alleging Shiela Dikshit government did not develop the NCR towns which is why there is pressure on Delhi as a large section of Poorvanchalis come to the city, Goel said once in power, his party will develop the NCR.
"Delhi government did not develop these, so they came here. We are not blaming them, instead we are blaming the government as they did not develop this region," he said.
Four persons also joined BJP Delhi unit today. Amod Sharma, ex-president of Congress Chandni Chowk district committee, Sarita Garba, an independent from Tigri ward, Kapoor Chand Sikara who was the Delhi general secretary of JD (U), and Farid Shah former BSP general secretary.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!