Delhi assembly polls: Congress consensus on 20-22 names
New Delhi: The Congress screening committee Saturday arrived at a consensus on the names of 20-22 sitting MLAs to be given tickets for the Dec 4 assembly polls.
"There was consensus on some 20-22 names of MLAs for party tickets. The remaining names will be decided in the next committee meeting on Tuesday," said a senior leader.
Sources said clean record and winning probability were primary considerations for choosing candidates.
A list of 42 sitting MLAs was forwarded by the 27-member Delhi election committee after it failed to unanimously decide on ticket distribution.
A decision on 28 seats will be taken later.
In an earlier screening committee meeting, it was decided that aspirants with serious criminal charges, those who have lost twice from their constituencies or were defeated by more than 10,000 votes would not get tickets.
Around 1,600 applicants are in the fray for tickets, with the final call to be taken by the Sonia Gandhi-headed Central Election Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened