Delhi assembly polls: Congress consensus on 20-22 names
New Delhi: The Congress screening committee Saturday arrived at a consensus on the names of 20-22 sitting MLAs to be given tickets for the Dec 4 assembly polls.
"There was consensus on some 20-22 names of MLAs for party tickets. The remaining names will be decided in the next committee meeting on Tuesday," said a senior leader.
Sources said clean record and winning probability were primary considerations for choosing candidates.
A list of 42 sitting MLAs was forwarded by the 27-member Delhi election committee after it failed to unanimously decide on ticket distribution.
A decision on 28 seats will be taken later.
In an earlier screening committee meeting, it was decided that aspirants with serious criminal charges, those who have lost twice from their constituencies or were defeated by more than 10,000 votes would not get tickets.
Around 1,600 applicants are in the fray for tickets, with the final call to be taken by the Sonia Gandhi-headed Central Election Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah