Delhi Assembly session begins on Monday
New Delhi: Issues like bailout package for
private discoms and strengthening the Lokayukta to combat
corruption are likely to dominate the five-day Winter Session
of the Delhi Assembly, beginning on Monday.
The session is also likely to witness Opposition BJP
raising issues like irregularities in selecting unauthorised
colonies for legalisation, corruption, price rise and hike in
CNG prices as well as water tax.
The proceedings will begin with the customary address of
Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna and later during the session, a
discussion will be initiated on deteriorating law and order in
the capital and trifurcation of MCD for better administrative
arrangement and public convenience.
Fireworks are expected on a range of issues as the ruling
Congress and Opposition BJP will try to use the session as a
campaign platform ahead of elections to the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi.
Riding on the issue of Lokpal, BJP will demand
strengthening of the Lokayukta institution in the capital,
asking for the Vigilance Department to be brought under the
Opposition leader VK Malhotra said his party will also
also demand that the power to institute an inquiry and to
award punishment should be given to Lokayukta.
He said rulings by Lokayukta against top Delhi government
functionaries, including ministers, were "not being
Another issue likely to come up in the session is the
Delhi government`s decision to infuse a Rs 500-crore fresh
equity into the BSES keeping in view inability of the company
to pay dues to various generation firms, including NTPC.
BJP has alleged that this bailout was "undue financial
favours" to the tune of Rs 500 crore to power companies under
the "garb" of raising equity.
The party also said they will come down hard on the issue
of alleged irregularities in giving provisional regularisation
certificates to a number of unauthorised colonies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley