Delhi Assembly to pass bill for MCD trifurcation
New Delhi: A two-day special session of Delhi Assembly begins Wednesday to facilitate the passage of a Bill to split the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, currently controlled by BJP, into three smaller civic bodies.
The government is confident of passage of the bill without any difficulty as opposition BJP has already indicated that it would not oppose trifurcating MCD although the party had been critical of the move.
"We are confident that all the legislators will support the bill as MCD is being split to improve civic services and bring accountability," said a senior Minister.
Accepting a long-standing demand of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, the Home Ministry had last week approved a proposal of Delhi government to trifurcate MCD ahead of civic polls
in April next year.
Senior officials said the government will table the bill in the House tomorrow and voting, if required, will take place on Thursday.
After approval by the assembly, the Bill will be sent to President Pratibha Patil for her assent.
As per the proposal, the new civic bodies in North and South Delhi will have 104 wards each while the civic body in East Delhi will have 64 wards and a directorate of municipal
services would be set up to coordinate functioning of the three new bodies.
The Centre has also approved the proposal for increasing reservation of seats in the civic body to 50 per cent from the current 33 per cent.
In pushing for trifurcation of MCD, Dikshit had to face opposition from within Congress with several leaders even going to party chief Sonia Gandhi to complain against the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?