Delhi Assembly`s first session begins, Arvind Kejriwal takes oath as MLA
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The first session of the new Delhi Assembly began on Wednesday, with Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, his Cabinet ministers and other MLAs taking oath.
Kejriwal was the first to be administered oath by pro-tem Speaker Mateen Ahmad. He was followed by Manish Sisodia and then other ministers and MLAs.
Kejriwal was also seen shaking hands with BJP leader Harsh Vardhan after taking oath.
The first session of the new Delhi Assembly will continue till January 7, and the Arvind Kejriwal-led government will seek a vote of confidence on the floor of the House tomorrow.
The election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker will be held on January 3.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung will address the House on January 6. On January 7, a discussion on Jung`s address will take place.
In the 70-member Assembly, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has 28 MLAs, eight short of a majority. AAP has the support of eight MLAs of Congress, which is expected to see across the half-way mark. BJP has 31 members and its ally Akali Dal has one.
AAP on Tuesday named its first-time MLA MS Dhir as its candidate for Speaker`s post.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video