Delhi Assembly`s first session begins, Arvind Kejriwal takes oath as MLA
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The first session of the new Delhi Assembly began on Wednesday, with Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, his Cabinet ministers and other MLAs taking oath.
Kejriwal was the first to be administered oath by pro-tem Speaker Mateen Ahmad. He was followed by Manish Sisodia and then other ministers and MLAs.
Kejriwal was also seen shaking hands with BJP leader Harsh Vardhan after taking oath.
The first session of the new Delhi Assembly will continue till January 7, and the Arvind Kejriwal-led government will seek a vote of confidence on the floor of the House tomorrow.
The election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker will be held on January 3.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung will address the House on January 6. On January 7, a discussion on Jung`s address will take place.
In the 70-member Assembly, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has 28 MLAs, eight short of a majority. AAP has the support of eight MLAs of Congress, which is expected to see across the half-way mark. BJP has 31 members and its ally Akali Dal has one.
AAP on Tuesday named its first-time MLA MS Dhir as its candidate for Speaker`s post.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi