Delhi bishop disagrees with Anna to continue fast
New Delhi: Delhi Archbishop Vincent M
Concessao, a founder member of `India against Corruption`
which is spearheading Anna Hazare`s protest, on Wednesday disagreed
with the Gandhian on his decision to continue with his fast
and warned against "subverting democratic processes".
Acknowledging that the tremendous response to Hazare`s
appeal shows how prevalent corruption is, Concessao said, "We
cannot set aside the democratic processes.
"I am in favour of fasts to make a point but fast-unto-
death is not acceptable as life is a gift of God and God alone
has the right to take it away. We are supposed to preserve and
promote life," he said in a statement.
However, he said the country needs an an effective Lokpal
to deter people from corruption as a first step towards a
He said he was of the opinion that much more has to be
done in terms of value education and conscience formation in
the days to come.
"What we need is the education of our parliamentarians so
that they can amend the Lokpal Bill to ensure its
effectiveness in practical terms. That would ensure the
responsiveness of our parliamentarians to the needs and
aspirations of the people they represent," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Lenovo files trademark for 'Moto Z' smartphone; end of Moto X series?
- Calls from Dawood Ibrahim's house: ATS to probe charges against Eknath Khadse
- Obama looks to Hiroshima visit; Abe won't go to Pearl Harbor
- India emerges as 5th largest producer of e-waste in world, says study
- Arun Shourie's comments against Narendra Modi based on personal reasons: Arun Jaitley