Delhi BJP chief gets bail in defamation case
New Delhi: Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta was on Friday granted bail in a defamation case filed against him by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in a city court which also witnessed high drama after the lawyers were asked to get out of it.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chouhan granted bail to Gupta on furnishing a bail bond of Rs 15,000 with one surety of like amount, after he personally appeared before it in response to the summons issued to him earlier in the case.
The drama started in the court room when Dikshit`s counsel Mehmood Pracha filed an application seeking exemption for her from personal appearance for the day. The plea was was opposed by Gupta`s lawyers.
"How can the court allow the exemption application of the chief minister, she should also be asked to be present in the court on each hearing as she is the complainant in the case," Gupta`s advocates Ajay Digpaul, Neeraj Kumar and Abhay Kumar Verma contended.
They also argued that the manner in which the chief minister had earlier recorded her 15-page statement in the court in just 10 minutes was "suspicious" and appeared as if she had already written her statement and submitted it before the judge when she had made her personal appearance.
The court, however, allowed Dikshit`s plea for the day`s exemption in the case.
This was opposed by Gupta`s counsel who said, "the judge cannot pass such order".
The judge then asked everyone, except the arguing counsel for the two parties, to vacate the court room.
Around 20 lawyers and other members of the Saket court bar association, who were present in the court room, raised strong objection to the judge`s move and said the "court cannot say like this".
Even the advocates assisting Gupta`s counsel were asked to leave. One of them said, "We are officers of the court and even we are related to the case. Why should we leave the court room?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki