Delhi BJP chief gets bail in defamation case
New Delhi: Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta was on Friday granted bail in a defamation case filed against him by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in a city court which also witnessed high drama after the lawyers were asked to get out of it.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chouhan granted bail to Gupta on furnishing a bail bond of Rs 15,000 with one surety of like amount, after he personally appeared before it in response to the summons issued to him earlier in the case.
The drama started in the court room when Dikshit`s counsel Mehmood Pracha filed an application seeking exemption for her from personal appearance for the day. The plea was was opposed by Gupta`s lawyers.
"How can the court allow the exemption application of the chief minister, she should also be asked to be present in the court on each hearing as she is the complainant in the case," Gupta`s advocates Ajay Digpaul, Neeraj Kumar and Abhay Kumar Verma contended.
They also argued that the manner in which the chief minister had earlier recorded her 15-page statement in the court in just 10 minutes was "suspicious" and appeared as if she had already written her statement and submitted it before the judge when she had made her personal appearance.
The court, however, allowed Dikshit`s plea for the day`s exemption in the case.
This was opposed by Gupta`s counsel who said, "the judge cannot pass such order".
The judge then asked everyone, except the arguing counsel for the two parties, to vacate the court room.
Around 20 lawyers and other members of the Saket court bar association, who were present in the court room, raised strong objection to the judge`s move and said the "court cannot say like this".
Even the advocates assisting Gupta`s counsel were asked to leave. One of them said, "We are officers of the court and even we are related to the case. Why should we leave the court room?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly