Delhi BJP chief supports phasing out of tongas
New Delhi: BJP`s Delhi chief Vijender Gupta
on Saturday came out in support of the phasing out of tongas in the
Walled city, saying the move will not only help decongest the
traffic but will also do good to the tongawallas.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi`s decision to not
renew the licences of tongawallas has not gone down well with
all sections, with a group of tonga owners plying in the old
city moving the Delhi High Court against it.
"I believe this is a good move as it will help ease the
difficult traffic situation in the congested areas, but they
should be rehabilitated properly," he said.
The MCD has unveiled a Rs 35 lakh scheme to
rehabilitation tonga owners who will lose their source of
income as a result of the move.
The owners have, however, filed a writ petition before
the High Court and also sought an interim stay on it.
The `tongawallas` have also written a letter to Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, requesting her to intervene in
Gupta said the tongawallas were in any case not in a
very good economic state, and the rehabilitation would help
better their condition as well.
He was speaking on the sidelines of a function to release
the book `Virasat - Ek Anmol Khazana` by author Shakuntala
Arya, former mayor of Delhi.
The book details the lives of legendary figures like
Gautam Budha, Lord Mahavira, Jesus Christ and Prophet
Muhammad, among others.
The book was released by BJP leader Arun Jaitley, who
said India should learn the art of preserving heritage from
"If you go to a city like Rome, you will find the imprint
of history on every road. It is not that their culture and
heritage is more ancient than ours, but they are simply
brilliant in preserving it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli