Delhi BJP expels member charged with rape
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Sunday expelled Yogesh Attrey, who unsuccessfully contested the 2008 Assembly elections, from the party after he was arrested on rape charges.
Attrey was arrested last week for allegedly raping a woman for about a year.
"Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta has expelled Yogesh Attrey, who is facing serious charges, from BJP with immediate effect," a party statement said.
Gupta said BJP will not tolerate any such acts by its members.
"BJP will adopt zero tolerance against such people. They do not have any place in the party. The party will adopt stern attitude against them so that no body could charge BJP with protecting any criminal element," he said.
Attray, who lost the elections to Delhi Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan, was arrested after a woman filed a complaint on Thursday.
Police said the case was registered at Vijay Vihar Police Station in Outer Delhi and that Attray was booked under sections 376 (rape), 506 (criminal intimidation), 509 (intending to insult the modesty of any woman) and 313 (causing miscarriage without woman`s consent).
They also said a statement of the victim, whose identity has not been revealed, has been recorded.
The incident comes in the wake of national outrage against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price