Delhi BJP expels member charged with rape
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Sunday expelled Yogesh Attrey, who unsuccessfully contested the 2008 Assembly elections, from the party after he was arrested on rape charges.
Attrey was arrested last week for allegedly raping a woman for about a year.
"Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta has expelled Yogesh Attrey, who is facing serious charges, from BJP with immediate effect," a party statement said.
Gupta said BJP will not tolerate any such acts by its members.
"BJP will adopt zero tolerance against such people. They do not have any place in the party. The party will adopt stern attitude against them so that no body could charge BJP with protecting any criminal element," he said.
Attray, who lost the elections to Delhi Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan, was arrested after a woman filed a complaint on Thursday.
Police said the case was registered at Vijay Vihar Police Station in Outer Delhi and that Attray was booked under sections 376 (rape), 506 (criminal intimidation), 509 (intending to insult the modesty of any woman) and 313 (causing miscarriage without woman`s consent).
They also said a statement of the victim, whose identity has not been revealed, has been recorded.
The incident comes in the wake of national outrage against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?