Delhi BJP opposes renaming PDS after Indira Gandhi
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Friday strongly opposed the move by the Centre to rename the public distribution system (PDS) after Indira Gandhi as `Indiramma Anna Yojana`.
Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel, while slamming the Centre for move, said it was an attempt by Congress to get "political mileage" ahead of the Assembly polls.
"Right now, no new announcement regarding renaming of the scheme after a particular political leader belonging to any political party can be made. Yet Congress leaders are attempting to violate these norms. Election Commission should take note of this and take strict action," he said.
Union Food Minister KV Thomas on Wednesday had said a new name `Indiramma Anna Yojana` was being considered for the existing Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS).
A final call on the proposed name will be taken by the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"The Union Food Minister`s statement, at a time when model code of conduct is in force, is against the spirit of democratic norms and Congress seems desperate to misuse its position by naming a system meant for the poor after one of its own leaders," Goel said.
He alleged that the EC was adopting a "very lenient approach" when it came to violation of poll guidelines by Congress leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof